European workshop on
Magneto-hydrodynamics in liquid metal systems (MHD)
Organized by University of Latvia, Institute of Physics
Place: Krakow (Poland), Riga & Salaspils (Latvia), July 8th -12th, 2022
The Workshop is organized in the framework of the ESFR-SMART Project, and it is devoted to topics related with magneto-hydrodynamics, thermal-hydraulics and technologies ie EM pumps, thermo-pumps, instrumentation and issues concerning the safety of sodium fast reactors.
Part 1 – theoretical (July, 8-9): lectures on MHD applications in nuclear field, embedded in Summer School organized by University of Science and Technology in Kraków (Poland) and EuMHD (European Society of Magnetohydrodyamic), within the frame of PAMIR Conference. The registration will be done by PAMIR Organization.
9:00 – 12:00
- A. Montisci – S. Carcangiu: MHD electrical generators
- Laurent Davoust: Electrohydro- dynamics: micropumping
- A. Cebers: Magnetic fluids: generalities and applications
13:00 – 17:30
- A. Khaladi: About hydro-electricity in Europe
- Antoine Alemany: Thermo- acoustic systems and electricity production
- Christian Latgé: The sodium: properties and consequences for its safe and efficient use. MHD effects in Tritium Blanket Modules.
- I. Kaldre – J. Guidez – C. Latgé: Thermopumps: modeling & design; implementation in Gen-IV systems
9:00 – 11:00
- M. Alradi – A. Alemany: Generalities about energetic systems
- R. Couderc: Photovoltaic solar cell and module technologies
Part 2 – experimental (July, 11-12): lectures in Riga (Latvia) on ESFR-SMART project, R&D on MHD applications, thermo-pumps, start-up and operation of dedicated Na loop (SSL-EMT) and its instrumentation, including practical calibration exercises. Visit of IPUL.
For some students going only to Riga, it should be possible to connect to Part 1, on Friday ans Saturday morning. There will be a specific registration done by UL, to facilitate the preparation of this event and associated logistics. The contact person is Imants Kaldre.